Established on 7 acres of land originally purchased by Charles and Marjorie Wigg in 1953, Featherdale has evolved from a poultry farm into one of the best privately own wildlife parks in Australia.
The Wigg’s son-in-law, Bruce Kubbere studied Australian fauna from early childhood and with his vision and encouragement, Featherdale opened to the public as a wildlife park in 1972.
In the early years Bruce, and his wife Margaret, operated a plant nursery on conjunction with the Wildlife Park. Beautiful Australian native trees and plants now line the walkways and landscape the enclosures as a legacy of the park’s history.
Featherdale’s future was threatened in 1975 with plans to use the property for a housing commission development. The then Premier, Sir Robert Askin was presented with thousands of signed petitions, most of which were signed behalf of local residents who stressed “the importance of Featherdale Wildlife Park” to district school children. Fortunately the government rescinded its original decision and the park was saved.
Featherdale has a commitment to animal and environmental education. The Wildlife Education Program is well established and very successful. The “Learning Burrow” is an open-air amphitheatre with seating for up to 90 students. The “Wildlife Wanderer” is Featherdale’s mobile education program. Lessons are interactive experiences that reflect the school curriculum.
Featherdale is owned by Elanor Investors Group, whom operate several other establishments in the Australian Tourism & Leisure industry. Through innovation Featherdale has developed into one of Australia’s finest tourist attractions in Greater Western Sydney and has played an important part in the growth of tourism, not only in Greater Western Sydney, but the whole of New South Wales and Australia.